While many people, kids included, wonder just what is a jaw expander is, one girl in San Antonio, Texas became intimately familiar with them, to her great joy, as the orthodontic aid brought an end to years of sleeping and breathing problems.
Little Isabella Salazar has been dealing with a number of health issues since her birth, as she was born 24 weeks premature. Janelle Morales, her mother, stated that the kid has always had trouble sleeping, and also snored a lot for her age. These issues hampered her sleep, resulting in Isabella getting less sleep than she should, which has affected her studies. On top of that, her breathing issues resulted in the kid getting bullied in school.
Salazar’s pediatrician reported that Isabella’s weight was the cause of her problems.
Isabelle says that her friends told her that she breathed heavy a lot, and it made her a bit sad, as it felt kind of mean to be told such things.
The family accepted their pediatrician’s diagnosis for years, until Isabella’s teeth began crowding, wherein they decided to head for Stone Oak Orthodontics, to get a diagnosis, and, if necessary, get braces. The doctor there, Dr. Tito Norris, the orthodontist on site, did a 15-minute examination and immediately found the issue; enlarged tonsils.
According to Dr. Norris, it was easy to determine what the problem was, as it was clear even with just the initial examination. The issue with the airways was easy to find, as orthodontists at Stone Oak like him don’t just check the teeth, they look at the whole mouth, and even the throat.
Following the initial diagnosis, Salazar got a CT scan, and was sent to other doctors who made additional examinations. According to her, however, the biggest change was when she got the answer to “What is a jaw expander”, when Dr. Norris outfitted her with a micro-implant assisted rapid palatal expander (MARPE), a device which slowly widened her upper jaw to create more space inside her mouth. Notably, Stone Oak is the only office in San Antonio that offers this particular procedure.
Norris explains that the MARPE is fairly new technology that acts on the skeleton, opening the airway of patients more than tooth-borne expanders. He adds that the MARPE takes about six weeks to provide desired results.
As for Isabella, her mother reports that the girl has slept better, doesn’t snore as loud, or have episodes at night where she’s having trouble breathing. The little girl says that it’s given her more energy to play and be a kid.
Posted in Dentist, Service, Tips
Dental implants are the safest and long lasting tools to replace missing teeth. They are screw like structures made of Titanium, which are inserted into the jawbone or on it. However, the cost of these implants is very high due to the high level of precision and customization required to produce them.
Most of the patients are searching for durable and affordable dental implants because the cost of dental treatments is not covered in the medical insurance. On an average one dental implant costs around $ 3000, which is lot of money. And when you have to replace two or more teeth, it becomes a large amount.
A little bit of research and caution can help you save money on dental implants. Find out about the best dental implant specialists in your neighborhood and the rates charged by them for a single implant. Most of the dentists refuse to give an estimate until they examine your teeth, so it is advisable to book a consultation with some of the shortlisted dental implant specialists. Most of the reputed dental clinics offer free first consultation.
Ask the dental implants clinic to provide a rough price estimate after the examination. You can use this estimate to compare the rates charged by different clinics. However, to ensure that you get good quality treatment, it is recommended to consider other factors along with the price. When comparing the prices charged by various clinics, it is advisable to first make a list of all the costs that are included in the estimate. The price estimate should contain
- Regular consultation fee
- Cost of X-rays and 3D imaging procedures
- Anesthesia charges
- Charges for taking dental impressions
- Cost of any preparatory surgeries.
- Cost of materials(implant, crown and abutment)
- Cost of medications, aftercare and follow-ups.
Apart from the price, consider the qualification, experience and skill of the dentist treating you. The doctor should have a good record of inserting dental implants successfully.
Finding affordable dental implants is a tough job because the process of making implants is time-consuming and lengthy. But doing some homework can help you get a good deal for dental implants. Check with your friends and family, who have undergone dental implant surgeries and choose a qualified and experience clinic that offers services at reasonable prices.
Posted in Dentist, News, Tips
It is common among dental patients to worry about the finances of denture process. However, the truth is dentures do not have to cause you much expenses without compromising its quality. That’s if you know how to pick the right type. Before you worry the range of prices of dentures, it is important to know what you need. Choosing the right one among the variety of choices will help you minimize the cost. For you to know the details and differences of each type, read below.
- Full or partial: It is true that getting a complete or full set of dentures is more expensive. However, if you go for partial pairs, it requires thorough measuring and a series of adjustments which may result to higher cost of dentures.
- Fixed or removable: Fixed dentures are the type that are permanent while removables are obviously those that you may remove. Each type offers different advantages, but fixed dentures are more costly.
- Materials: On your dental visit, your specialist may offer you a lot of materials to choose from for your dentures. The difference of each cost will depend on the comfort they provide. The acrylic versions are more affordable. The flexible types are more expensive but they are softer.
- Dentist: If you want to get affordable cost of dentures, it is ideal to go for a dentist who does general or cosmetic dentistry. But if you want to be more assured of the procedure, it is best to talk to a specialist first and know your dental issue so you will find out the right dental treatment for you. You may find a different dentist for your dentures. Take note though that seeing an extra specialist may need you to increase your budget.
- Payment: Nowadays, some cost of dentures may already be covered by dental care insurance. If you still do not have one, you may talk to your dentist about it.Ask him or her for a payment plan that will fit your budget. Once you have your dentures, take note that the adjustment period may take time and it may require another more checkups.
Posted in Dentist, Medical, Service, Tips